Dribble Across A Square ™ Soccer Drill (U-8 & up) (Definitely try this). This is No Lines and every player has a ball (100% onball). Fast results. It is the best way to teach dribbling and a great warm-up. It teaches players to dribble with both feet while looking up. It is a competitive game, so players learn to dribble in traffic while under pressure. Easy to set up - only 4 cones. Read what coaches say...
"We played Dribble Across a Square and Dribble Around the Cone and Pass Relay Race at every practice, and the results were phenomenal." Coach Greg, U9 Coach and Premium Member
"My daughter is averaging 2-3 goals per game. It's been awesome watching her turn into a great player just by religiously doing SoccerHelp drills." Derik, U10 coach, Premium subscriber for 3 years
"Without Dribble Across a Square my U12 daughter would not have the foot skills that she has. She has played it at every practice since U8 and is well known in our rec league as someone you have to double and triple team if you don't want her to score. This past week she was offered a spot on a U13 travel team. My advice to coaches is to play Dribble Across a Square at every practice." Coach Jason, Premium member for 4 years
"My U12 girls won the end of year tournament. The main thing I saw in my girls was a huge increase in their confidence while playing. Some of that was better skills, but more important was being used to playing under pressure and in chaotic conditions due to the Soccer Help practice games." Philip, U12, WA, Premium Member
"The Dribble Across a Square game is genius, it teaches so much." John, KY, U6, U8, U10, Premium Member
"At every practice we religiously do Dribble Across a Square, Dribble Around A Cone and Pass, etc, etc, - the poise my boys have on the ball is leaps and bounds above other teams now." Coach T, U12 Boys travel team, MA, Premium subscriber
- "Hit The Coach ™" (U-4 and U-6) * * * * (Definitely try this) My favorite soccer drill that is a game for U-4 and U-6 players. It's easy, fun and the kids love it. 100% onball. This games teaches tremendous skills - dribbling, kicking the ball while running, looking up while dribbling and kicking the ball, getting used to contact (a very important thing for young players - because they will all be chasing the coach, they will be close together and bumping each other and it will be chaotic, which gets them used to the mental stimulus of games). This game is self-teaching and they learn by playing the game. Dribbling and kicking the ball in a crowd while looking up isn't easy and this is a fun way to learn those skills. Watch a Video of the "Hit the Coach" Practice Game.
- "Aggressive Play & Bravery Game ™" (U-8 & older) * * * * This soccer drill is a simple, easy, and fast way to teach players to be strong on the ball (so they don't get pushed around and can retain possession) and ALSO how to legally use their shoulder to push opponents off the ball to steal it. This really works and quickly makes a difference. It teaches bravery and aggressive play, that soccer is a physical game and to not be afraid of contact or being bumped or pushed, strength on the ball to maintain possession while dribbling, shielding the ball to maintain possession when challenged, a legal Shoulder Tackle, challenging for the ball to slow the attack and how to legally push a player off the ball. Read what coaches say:
"The Shoulder Tackling game is working beyond belief. Some of my timid girls are now amongst the toughest on the team." Mark, CA, U1OG, Premium member
"The other team was bigger and trying to play very aggressively against us, but we have been playing the Strength on the Ball game since the beginning of the season, and, although they really tried, the other team could not push my boys around." Coach Stephanie, U10 Boys
"This Game made an immediate improvement on my boys on how to fight for a ball." Coach Chuck, U-10 Boys
"I LOVE the "Shoulder Tackle & Strength on the Ball" drill - it has HUGE benefits." Coach Tony, GA, U16G, Premium member
- "Driving School ™" (U-6 to U-10) * * * * This soccer drill teaches control dribbling, using the bottom of foot to stop the ball, pullbacks, and using outside of right foot and left foot. Easy set-up and 100% onball.
- "Tick Tock ™" (aka "The Foundation") (U8 & older) * * * * This is a very simple game that practices fast feet and ball control using inside-of-feet. Very easy set-up and 100% onball.
- "Small Sided Scrimmage Without A Goalie ™" (U-8 & Up)* * * * This is a better way for most teams to scrimmage. Rec teams should only scrimmage for about 10 minutes of each hour they practice. This game is a good way to evaluate players - you will be able to quickly tell a lot about a player's skills, natural abilities, and where they prefer to play. This game is better than a regular scrimmage in 2 ways: (1). All players learn to defend and play tough defense and block shots, and not rely on the Goalie, and (2). To score, they must work the ball close to the goal and not take long shots, so control, dribbling, passing, and movement off the ball in the Attacking Third are encouraged. This game has the disadvantage of a low ball per player ratio.
- "Chips/Lofted Passes Game ™" (U-10 & up) * * * * An effective way to practice "lofted passes with backspin". Every player should know how to "loft" the ball for shots, for long "over-the-top" passes & as a way to "clear" the ball. Easy set-up, lots of touches and a game format. 50% onball.
- "Throw-Ins Teaching Game ™" (U-8 & up) * * * (Try this) This soccer drill is a quick and effective way to teach or practice throw-ins. If you are a beginning coach, review "How to Teach Throw-Ins" at "Skills" on SoccerHelp.com. This isn't great fun, but it is quick and effective. 50% onball.
- "Kick A Crossed Ball Game ™" (U-8 & up) * * * * A "crossed ball" is a ball coming from the side. This game is an effective, efficient way to practice timing the run and how to kick a crossed ball, which is not an easy thing to do. It will teach the player to take a short backswing, to keep his head down, eyes on the ball, and to start out by blocking the ball using the inside of the foot.
- "Monster Invasion ™" (Dribbling & concept of a field, U-4 and U-6) * * * * (Definitely try this) This is a simple, always fun game for U-4 and U-6. Every player has a ball and everyone, including the coach, has fun. 100% onball.
- "Go Score ™" (Dribbling & Kicking the Ball While Running, U4 to U10) * * * * (Definitely try this) This is a simple, fun game for U4 and U6 and beginners up to U10. Every player has a ball and easy set-up. 100% onball. Watch a video of this game at How to Teach Dribbling and "Go Score" Soccer Practice Game Video
- "Dribble Around Cone & Pass Relay Race ™" (U-8 and older) * * * * (Definitely try this) This is my favorite soccer drill for players U8 and older - it will teach your players to play faster, which is HUGELY important. It teaches Aggressive Receiving, passing while running and under pressure, speed dribbling, turning, the importance of first-touch, one-touch control, and teaches receivers to move to the ball and how to receive the ball at game speed and while under pressure. This game is self-teaching and the coach can help the players by giving them "tips" that allow them to improve. Perhaps the most important thing this game can teach is "Aggressive Receiving". You can read about the benefits of "Aggressive Receiving" on the bottom of the instructions for this game on SoccerHelp. You will see fast results, the set-up is easy and every player is either a dribbler/passer or a receiver.
Coaching Tips Worth 2 Goals Per Game (Definitely try this) Click the link to read Testimonials from coaches and to see tips. Here are a few Testimonials -- "Coaching Rule No. 1 really is worth a couple goals a game. Super easy to teach, and super easy to coach from the sidelines." Coach Bob, U10 and "For about 2 weeks, we worked on nothing other than soccer Coaching Rules 1 - 3. We won our next 5 games scoring 20 goals and giving up none, we won 6 - 0, 3 - 0, 4 - 0, 3 - 0 and 4 - 0." Coach Tony, U16 and "I taught my players Coaching Rule No. 3 from Premium and the results were immediately phenomenal!" Coach Charlie, U10